Monday, May 20, 2013

St. Paul's Cathedral, Melbourne

Built on the site of a former parish church, this Anglican cathedral was designed by William Butterfield and built 1880-91.



Butterfield's design


The cartoon for the 300 square foot reredos was made by Clayton and Bell. It depicts the Crucifixion and Last Supper on top, with a cross in the middle that is flanked by Saints Peter and Paul.





Sources:
Barr, Sheldon. Venetian Glass Mosaics: 1860-1916. London: Antique Collectors' Club, 2008. 126.

4 comments:

  1. The photo at the top of this series is NOT St Paul's Anglican Cathedral Melbourne!

    It is St Patrick's Roman Catholic Cathedral.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the clarification. The original image was labeled just as Melbourne Cathedral, and both are such grand structures that I didn't notice that it wasn't the one that I was posting about. I've made the correction!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The photo at the top is St Paul's Cathedral. St Pat's is located in East Melbourne with gardens around it, whereas you can see the Melbourne City Square on the left of the top photo. Plus I am the Precentor of St Paul's, so I should know my own Cathedral!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The original picture I had posted was wrong, but you are correct that the current photo is of St. Paul's. Thanks for visiting my site!

      Delete