However, the church's planned tower was never built.
The original 1841 reredos by Simon Rowe was embellished in 1875 with Salviati mosaics of the Ascension of Christ flanked by two apostles on each side. Incidentally, the chapel at Gibbs' estate built at the same time was also decorated with Salviati mosaics and he may have suggested their use in Exwick.
Archival photo from 1936
Cherry, Bridget and Nikolaus Pevsner. Buildings of England: Devon. 5th ed. New Haven: Yale University Press, 1991. 387-390.
David Cornforth for Exeter Memories
Peter Holmes on Geograph
Current photographs of the reredos were kindly provided by Graeme Salisbury of St. Andrew's, Exwick